DXC Board Minutes—November 2011
DXC Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 14, 2011 6:30 p.m. at Nettleton Elementary School
Board Members Present: Bryan French (BF), John Ipsen (JI), Anne Flueckiger (AF), Jay Monson (JM), Tony Shoberg (TS), Phil Rogers (PR)
1. Minutes from 10/18 Meeting
- Board minutes were approved and uploaded to the DXC web site (JM)
2. Treasurer’s Report (AF)
- Recent income was $1,685 and recent expenses were $2,182
- Assets are currently $28,099.06
3. Committee Reports
a) Finances (AF)
- It was moved, seconded and approved to welcome Shawnee Stephenson as a DXC board member and treasurer.
b) Communications (BF)
- Discussions on the new service we are utilizing (called MailChimp) to mass e-mail members on DXC information. (AF & BF)
c) Adult Programs (AF)
- (AF) connected with the members on their last session celebration.
d) Nordic Spirit (TS)
- Lake Superior College is title sponsor along with other principal sponsors Subaru (tentative) and Lakewalk Surgery Center. (TS)
- We are quickly getting things in place by BMFF so we can have race entry forms ready for people to sign up at the event. (AF)
e) Youth & Juniors Programming (AF)
- KidSki registration is continuing and higher fees for non-DXC members is in effect. No negative responses were received due to this price increase.
- There are 104 registrants to date with about 30 spots left. The program can take 140 kids. (AF)
f) Trails and Facilities (JI & AF)
- Fritz Anderson singlehandedly cleared the Chester trails. Ten volunteers cleared Hartley under Steve Long’s direction. Another ten volunteers cleared Lester with Erica Henkel Sivertson and John Graham coordinating. The Saint Scholastica ski team was expected to get together with Les Martin to work on the Magney trail. Judy Gibbs has been very helpful providing tools and support. (JI)
- (AF) showed us the draft trail brochure and detailed needed changes. It will be in a quad-fold format with maps, detailed listing of trails and general trail information.
- (AF) has the key to Spirit Mountain and a new lock is being installed.
- The board discussed the considerations of Duluth’s long range trails plans of the city and the impact on ski trails, ski trail signage, etc.
g) Membership (BF & JM)
- Membership is going well. We are up to about 50 people with another 50 people to enter that recently arrived. (BF & JM)
h) Grants & Sponsorships (AF)
- Tortoise and Hare (formerly Athlete’s Foot) is a new sponsor for BMFF. (AF)
i) Special Events: Banff (BF)
- Holly is the new BMFF “Road Warrior”
- New Burrito Union GM met with (AF) and (BF) to review process and procedures.
- DXC members, et al. are previewing films Tuesday, November 14th for the purpose of selecting films for the festival.
5. New Business
a) Savings Account
- (AF) Shawnee recommended putting some of our cash in a savings account. It was moved, seconded and approved to put a portion of our cash into a savings account. Further discussion was made about looking into accounts that have better interests rates and/or are local.
b) Portable Toilets at Lester and/or Spirit
- Tabled until more information can be provided.
c) DXC Donations
- It was moved, seconded and approved to donate a family membership and blue lycra hat to the Soup and Silent Auction December 4th, 2012 at the Peace Church that benefits Nettleton Elementary grade five students that need scholarships for attending a winter trip to Deep Portage ELC.
- Tax implications for future donations should be discussed along with creating policy and a budget for donations by the club to local organizations.
d) Adult Education
- It was moved, seconded and approved to allocate up to $400 for honorariums that would be provided to adult technique session coaches.
- Other discussions were held dealing with (PR) promoting DXC with wellness coordinators, etc. around the city of Duluth.
e) Hartley Trail Signs
- (JI) gave an overview and estimate of metal trail signs that could possibly be installed at Hartley Park ski trails ($2,000 approximately).
- Cost sharing will be investigated by (AF) between the city and DXC.
f) Hermantown/Proctor Ski Team
- (AF) gave overview of the combined ski team of Proctor/Hermantown teams and the expense that is occurred by some members of the out-of-district students.
g) Duluth Youth Nordic Series
- (AF) gave overview of the Duluth Youth Nordic Series.
6. Upcoming Board Meetings
- Next meeting is December 12th in (JM’s) classroom at Nettleton Elementary School Room 301 at 6:30 p.m.