DXC Board Minutes – August 2011
DXC Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 22, 2011 6:30 pm at The Duluth Grill
Board Members Present: Kristin Riker-Coleman (KRC), Bryan French (BF), John Ipsen (JI), Anne Flueckiger (AF), Jay Monson (JM)
Board Members Absent: Phil Rogers, Tony Shoberg (excused)
1. Minutes from 5/16 Meeting
- Board minutes approved and uploaded to the DXC web site (JM)
2. Treasurer’s Report (KRC)
- Summer program coaches will be paid in full soon. (KRC)
- $30,975.46 balance in checking and approximately $600 in savings
3. Old Business
a) Finance: DXC bookkeeping, etc. (KRC)
- Discussion regarding ways we can simplify finances. (Board)
- (KRC) going to research options for online bookkeeping.
- (KRC) will mail tax form to summer coaches.
b) Youth & Juniors Programs: 2011 summer program (BF); Mentor Duluth partnership (AF)
- Program served a lot of kids, from fairly new skiers to varsity level skiers. Definitely successful. Discussion about offering a similar, concurrent program aimed at middle-school aged student athletes. (BF)
- Hiring of coaching staff for next season can be done with more input from the current board. (AF)
- The Morning/Afternoon practice format was successful.
- Most participants coming from the east side of Duluth. (BF)
- Youth and Juniors Committee needs to meet by or in January for organizing upcoming training, hiring coaches, etc. (BF)
- Responsibility for publicity (taking photos, etc.) of summer program can be determined at a later date. There was talk of making this a responsibility of the coaches. (AF & BF)
- (AF) connected with Mentor Duluth. More talk on this connection will be discussed in committee.
c) Special Events: Banff (BF); Nordic Spirit (TS)
- Nona has been ably handing all things Banff. (BF)
- (BF) contacting Burrito Union/Brewhouse for food details
- Banff Mountain Film Festival to be held November 20th and 21st, 2011. (BF)
- We need registration and web page help for the Nordic Spirit Race. (AF)
d) Trails: Trails & Bikeways Master Plan, DNR funding, signage, maps (AF & JI)
- (AF) attended August 22nd meeting about the trails and bikeways master plan.
- $6,000 of additional DNR funding from the MN ski pass will be utilized for maintaining our local ski trails. (AF)
- Parks and Recreation funding is going to be coming from another location within the city budget. (AF)
e) Sponsorships & Grants: Community Foundation grant (AF)
- We did not receive the latest Community Foundation grant but are encouraged to resubmit October 1st. (AF)
f) Other: Google calendar, thanking past board members
- Bryan is adding upcoming/outgoing DXC events to Google calendar with the hope of making more effective planning and communication. (BF)
- (AF) will be getting our thanks to past board members.
4. New Business
a) Adult Programs: formal/informal fall programming (AF & PR)
- Craig Hertz has agreed to coach adult program this fall. (AF)
- The program would be two times a week starting in September 8th and costs $125
- The program would roughly cost DXC about $700. (KRC)
- Last year there were approximately eight participants. (BF)
- We would need at least seven people to hold this training program—this will be explained in the promotional e-mail. (AF)
b) Trails: Spirit/City update, fall trail work (AF & JI)
- The city is willing to take over Spirit Mt. grooming but a lot of questions remain. (AF)
- September 7th meeting will answer some questions regarding grooming issues—(AF) will attend this meeting.
- The use and responsibility of the Lester Park building is still in question. (AF)
- (JI) is going to take on fall trail work and (AF) is going to focus on other city connections.
- (KRC) connecting with a faculty member to see if there are any academic service-learning possibilities that can benefit local trails.
- Discussion of what it would take to get trail stewards to get reports to maintain trails around the city. (JI)
c) Sponsorships & Grants: committee needs to meet (TS & AF)
- Committee will be meeting soon. (AF)
d) Membership: committee needs to meet to figure out swag, business discounts, registration forms, online registration (JM & AF)
- (JM) will contact Patti Harvieux to gain information on managing registration.
- Membership swag needs to be ordered by mid-September. (AF & BF)
- Membership drive begins October 1st. (AF)
- Committee will be meeting soon with (AF) and (JM).
e) Communications: committee needs to meet to discuss website guidelines/policies, emailing DXC news to members, Facebook, etc. (JM, BF, AF)
- Committee will be meeting soon. Anyone willing to join (AF) and me can feel free (JM).
- Include a trail communication addition on our web site including stewards, what needs to be done, what has been done, etc. (JI)
f) Youth & Juniors Programs: committee will meet in Sept. (KRK & JM)
- (AF) to contact Peter Langr about Kid Ski program and Youth & Juniors committee.
- (KRC) and (JM) will meet at 3:00 p.m. August 30th at Great Harvest Bread Co. to talk about an overall plan for youth programming.
5. Fall board meetings
- Next meetings are September 22nd, October 18th, November 14th and December 12th.